Refinersfire and MTSU School of Muisc had the privilege of hosting a Q&A session with Nataly Dawn and Jack Conte of Pomplamoose. Here’s what we learned from this innovative and impressive band.
1. If you are watching “Single Ladies”, they aren’t making money. Pomplamoose gets none of the ad revenue from their covers such as “Telephone” and “Single Ladies”. These covers, connected to their fun, quirky, and joyful videos, bring people to their Youtube channel but, the ultimate goal is to direct people to their original music.
2. There are no shortcuts. Nataly Dawn said that there will be times that you will think there is an easy route, ways to get around the work but, there aren’t. And there are people who will tell you that these shortcuts exist if you just use them.
3. Don’t listen to other people’s advice. Everyone thinks that they can help you. You will be given unsolicited advice. No one knows you and what you what to do better than yourself. Listen to yourself and don’t pay attention to all the other advice givers. They will confuse and distract you from what you want to do.
4. If they were starting out now, they would be using Vine rather than YouTube. The new up and coming social media route to use is Vine.
5. It’s hard work making your living from music, but there isn’t anything else they would rather do. They record, edit, mix, and do everything on their own. There isn’t a huge music label taking care of their marketing, producing their newest videos. Jack Conte said, “We do all the work and it is not easy but, everyday we get to wake up and make music!”
Watch a clip from their Mercy Lounge show below over at our Instagram page.